Tuesday 23 October 2012

Jewellery

HOW AFRICAN JEWELLERY IS MADE

You might have never know this, but one of the first origins of jewellery came from Africa. Its a huge form of art for the african people, which I think is obvious when you look at the pieces. I can see this when I look at Zulu women for example, but the jewellery is the main attraction of their styling and it looks truely artistic.

 African jewellery is made from such diverse materials as Tiger's eye stone, Elephant hair, haematite, sisal, coconut shell, snail shells, beads and ebony wood. Some of the materials are so coarse and thick that they are like wire, which makes them easy to mould into shape. 
Jewellery on Samburu Tribe, Kenya
Hand-Made African Beaded Jewellery
African Wooden Jewellery - Hand carved using Stone
African Tigers Eye Beads
African Jewellery made with Elephant Hair
African Stretch Braclets made from Coconut Shell
African Woman with Snail Shell Jewellery
 I think this is amazing. The skill in the tribes to create such beautiful jewellery with such sparse materials in so inspiring. There is so much colour that makes each piece look so outstanding. I love the idea of using accessories to create the focal point of my image and from looking at these tribal images I can see the importance African jewellery has on a tribal look. The beads will always be my favourite purely because they create such gorgeous patterns as a necklace and the pieces are so chunky. I also love the idea of the elephant hair jewellery because it is so versitile, meaning that this would be something to help me create a head piece for my catwalk design. 


No comments:

Post a Comment