Wednesday 3 October 2012

Fashion Houses Do Tribal



FASHION HOUSES DO TRIBAL

I am now looking at Fashion Houses that have used tribal within their collections. These images are going to help me with my moodboards for 'Wild Kingdom Catwalk' and 'Wild Kingdom Editorial' (the two looks I am working towards as my final shoots!) Here is what I have found so far:

Rodarte





The above images are from the Rodarte S/S 2010 Catwalk Collection: "Inspired by Death Valley and Vultures, Go Goth Tribal Warrior".

I completely agree as to why Tribal fashion was and still is adored by fashion fans. Its amazing! The collection is so exciting and full of fun and vibrance. Rodarte owners Laura and Kate Mulleavy came together with an incredible series of designs, from the outfits themselves down to the accessories and tattoos. A team of MAC makeup artists, lead by James Kiliardos came together with Sharpie markers to draw the detailed and well thought out tattoos, leaving the faces dark yet plain to empahaise the whole collection. The eyes were darked underneath using blushers, as were the cheek bones, but the lids and lashes left alone. This drew the attention to the lips, lined on the inside with a deep red liner and filled on the outside with a black lipsick. The tattoos replaced what could have been chunky jewellery with bare arms. Yes, it sounds pretty simple, but the creativity for perfection took a lot of planning. And my god did it pay off!!
 _______________________________________________________

Thakoon






 The above images are of Thakoon's S/S 2010 Catwalk Collection: "Out of Africa".

Here is a much more simplistic idea of a trible catwalk collection. This catwalk focuses much more on the collection as apposed to what its accompanied by. I love this collection becuase it does exactly what it says on the tin - it expresses the influence of African Tribal fashion. The colours and spot on and show the idea of power and the hair and make up is beautful. Slicked back with tonnes of hairspray and gels it is neatly placed into a 'half up half down bun'. The hair is away from the completely pure faces and the eyes are accentuated with brown blushers and powers, as are the cheeks. In my opinion, these images are absolutely breath taking. 

Whilst looking at Tribal trends I came across this website - an interesting source of research for the hisorty of african tribal fashion! (definately seems to be one of my favourite tribes!)

 And again and another interesting website to set me off with my research. I just love these tribal trends!!!! http://www.fashionising.com/trends/b--tribal-ethnic-trend-springsummer-2009-1566.html

_______________________________________________________

Editorial Shoots



The above to images are my absolute favourite so far. Although they are editorial fashion images and not 'the real thing' I just absolutely love them. I love the colours and the vibrantness, it is so beautiful. The accesories make the photograph, which is something I am really learning is important when it comes to tribal looks. The makeup is just so amazing on the front cover and the set up of the look is completely perfect. The images really emphasise the 'power' that you would need to have in a tribe!

I am so inspired by these images already and I am only at the beginning of my research! I really look forward to this project if this is already the case!!!

(I found these images on http://framestheworld.blogspot.co.uk/2010_04_01_archive.html - amazing!)

EDITORIAL IMAGES

Just came across these Tribal inspired images as well. I have linked these to the looks of Tribal artwork, which I am going to research more about later. I have chosen these images because they work are editorial and give me an idea of what I need to persure. I personally think they have subtle hints of Tribal and arent the exact copy of what you know Tribal to be. This is really important to consider because you dont want to create a look that has copied all the research, you need to create a look that has considered all your research and blends everything together.

 ABORIGINAL

 AFRICAN

   AZTEC

1 comment:

  1. Have a look at the work of Phyllis Galembo. Incredibly strong images, but not linked to make-up directly. This is more inspiration for colour, texture and the bold construction of an idea. A lot of her work is based on masquerade.

    What do these range of images inspire you to do next?

    ReplyDelete