Sunday 7 October 2012

Favourite Tribes

What's Next?

Before trying to draw any more tribal images and patterns, I have decided that I should research the tribal themes I like in more detail. I have narrowed it down to two different tribes, African and Aboriginal. This will help me to narrow down my research and begin to think about my 'Tribal Mash Up!' 

South African Zulu Tribe
  
There are hundereds of different tribes in Africa. These tribes are also referred to as Ethnic Groups. I could research all the different tribes but it would take a long time! Instead I have looked at the 
South Afican Zulu Tribe.
I have looked at South African Zulu Warriors for a very unique reason. They are much more based on the accessories than the full face makeup and because I am really keen on using lots of accessories and bold styling as opposed to just focusing on the makeup and hair, this is a really important area for me to consider. Zulu people wear a lot of beads, fur and feathers. The colours are so bright at beautiful and I really love the beads - they make everything so exciting and fun. The styling is pretty much the same for the men, woman and children of the tribe showing its a very traditional look. Personally, I love the styling of the women the best!

These images show what I am inspired by and an idea of what I need to persure for my final shoots.
Zulu People

South African Zulu Chief
South African Zulu Woman - beautiful beads!


 
Zulu Women

Just looking at these images has given me inspiration for the types of drawings I can do. I want to draw patterns that look like beads, make beaded pictures and sketches of african tribal patterns using lots of colour. This will give me a really interesting vibe of how I could then consider incoporating these drawings into makeup.  

Indigenous Australians

So, alongside looking at Zulu's, I am now looking at the Austrialian Aboriginal People. This tribe has a lot more makeup involved in their image which helps inspire me for the other half of my looks. Aboriginal art is one of my favourite styles. I am really attracted the colour and patterns and these are so interesting. Being able to incorporate colour like this into a makeup design sounds so exciting. I am really eager to practice the colour on dark skin as well. Colour looks so different depending on your skin tone and to experiment with how bold it appears on dark skin will be really important for me to see. However, it would be interesting to incorporate the colours and styles of the black africans and aboriginals onto white skin, and see if it is as powerful. Anyway, thats getting a little bit too carried away! 

Australian Aboriginal Child - simply beautiful!

Aboriginal Art Make Up

Australian Aboriginal Man
A lot of white on black mixed with red, little colour and little pattern, but so strong. Bold and beautiful, the aboriginies are creative. I want to mix this with the actual art work of them and xreate a combination of 'African Aboriginal'. I now want to look at whether the two would work together. If not, which is for catwalk and which is for editorial!?


No comments:

Post a Comment