Friday 2 November 2012

Scarification


SCARS IN TRIBALISM

What is Scarification?

Scarifying involves scratching, etching, burning / branding, or superficially cutting designs, pictures, or words into the skin as a permanent body modification.In the process of body scarification, scars are formed by cutting or branding the skin by varying methods.
Scarification has been widely used by many West African tribes to mark milestone stages in both men and women’s lives, such as puberty and marriage. It is also used to transmit complex messages about identity; such permanent body markings may emphasize fixed social, political, and religious roles.
Most people in certain regions of Africa who have “markings” can be identified as belonging to a specific tribe or ethnic group. Some of the tribes in Northern Ghana who use the markings are the Gonjas, Nanumbas, Dagombas, Frafras and Mamprusis.

Daasanetch Girl with Scarifications
Karayu Girl with Scarifications, Ethiopia
Ethiopian Woman Body Scarification
Ethiopian Tribal Warrior
Karamajong Tribal Scarification
Fresh Scars on Menit Tribe Girl

I think scarification is quite interesting. Seen as another verison of a tattoo, it is a very bold and brave way to show something. It looks strangely beautiful, and I quite like the idea of using scarification in my shoots as opposed to actual tattoos because they are much more subtle. Obviosuly there is no deep colour, and I think it comes across a lot more personal than inkings. Maybe this is because its more of a sacrifice, and its well known that people of certain tribes sacrifice themselves for each other.

This is a brilliant website to see examples of scarification in the African Tribes:
http://flickrhivemind.net/Tags/scarification/Interesting

MY EXPERIMENTS WITH SCARIFICTION

I experimented with scarifications to have a practice incase I did choose to use it. But dont worry, I experimented with makeup not by actually giving people scars!
Firstly, I chose the body part I wanted to work on. I then used a substance called Liquid Latex, which I painted onto the body in the pattern I wanted to work with. I made the liquid look bumpy and skin like by rubbing it to show some creases. Once it dried, I used Aqua Colours (by Illamasqua) and a Bruise Pallette (Screen Face) to paint over the latex and produce the colours of scars. Around the edge of the Liquid latex, I used foundation to match the actual skin colour to ensure that the scar blending in nicely.

Here is an example I practiced on the neck:




No comments:

Post a Comment