Monday 3 December 2012

Be Inspired...

I am currently trying to find some editorial shoots that inspire the concept of Native. Because I have created my own theme of Native African (as opposed to American) I am actually finding this quite hard. Some of the images appear too literal and not quite creative enough. Creativity is something I need to look in to because I am adding techniques to my work, such as scarification, tattoos, piercings and etching on the skin.
 It is also appearing difficult because, although I am creating a catwalk idea, I am shooting it as an editorial look. I therefore need to ensure I still focus on the brief as consider elements such as: practicality of accessories when walking down a catwalk, focus on the styling as opposed to make up and of course the focus of the hair.

Here are some examples of shoots I have seen
 Take a look.. they are amazing!



 
This shoot is from Numéro France’s December//January issue.  Its beautiful. The styling is perfect and portrays the idea of the shoot extremely well. The makeup is subtle but effective, and the hair hasnt been forgotten about. Although there is no visably structured style, it still helps to complete this native inspired look.

Photography: Miguel Reveriego | Styling: Pattie Wilson | Model: Abbey Lee Kershaw

__________________________________________


Feathers have become increasingly popular in modern editorial shoots. They are seen in headpieces, necklaces and embellished on clothing. I love feathers because of their texture, colours, sizes and shapes. They accessorize almost every possible outfit. I was inspired to use feathers for my catwalk shoot because it is the first thing I think of when considering the styling of Native. Although this seems like copying a tribal trend, I am meerly going to moderize it.
I absolutely love the head piece from the image above, it is bold, strong but beautiful. At of course, easy for a catwalk model to walk whilst wearing!

__________________________________________


This is a beautiful example of a native feather headpiece. I think in this images case, the styling says all. Amazing.

Make up: Kmkutsuma | Model: Kit Katrice Ang | Photography and Styling: Kune Delgado
__________________________________________


I love this shoot because it combines creativity and beauty. Something that I want to achieve. I love the make up here because its strong and effective. The black line is so bold and defines the need for no more makeup. The accessories compliment the make up, which is essential for tribal styling.

__________________________________________

 

As I have said for the image above. Effective, creative, simple and beautiful.

Make up: Amy Clarke | Photography and Styling: Bree Randall

__________________________________________


OH WOW. How incredible!? This is very editorial, but still amazing. I love this image so much that I am lost for words! The fishtail braids are a beautiful example of greating a deadlocked hair style. The colours combined show an effect use of creativity. The headdress is beautiful, strong and bold, Most of all, I love the way that the headdress blends into the hair and creates a whole images as opposed to separate details within a look. This is inspiration at its most, when I recreate my native catwalk look, this is what I will be focusing around. LOVE!

 Check out this whole webpage for this incredible inspiration:
http://pinterest.com/sadbettie/native-love/
__________________________________________

These images show my inspiration for contemporary Native tribes when it comes to female models. The looks for this still give me ideas for male models, although there will obviously be some significant differences. Here are some original images of native men, which will give me ideas for finalising the styling!




 
VICTORIA SECRET

Victoria Secret recently did a fashion show in which they used a Native American headpiece. The outfit was criticized as a display of ignorance toward tribal culture and history.
Historically, headdresses are a symbol of respect, worn by Native American war chiefs and warriors. For Great Plains tribes, for instance, each feather placed on a headdress has significance and had to be earned through an act of compassion or bravery. Some modern-day Native American leaders have received war bonnets in ceremonies accompanied by prayers and songs.
Victoria's Secret model Karlie Kloss walked onto the runway last week wearing the floor-length feathered headdress, leopard-print underwear and high heels. She also was adorned with fringes and turquoise jewelry during a segment meant to represent the 12 months of the year -- fireworks in July, rain gear for April and a headdress for November.
The idea behind this is regretted by Victoria Secret. They express that they didnt mean to offend anyone for their choice of styling, but can understand why it has. Many people complained to them saying that they were being disrespectful.

Here are images from the catwalk:




The below image shows one of the complaints Victoria Secret received after their choice of action:




After reading this article, this shows me what not to do when looking at my catwalk shoot. Its made me clear that I need to respect my tribal influences and not suggest them in any way they wouldnt be seen. Even though my images wont be going public like Victoria Secrets did, I still need to work as i they are in order to understand the importance of creating looks within the industry.

No comments:

Post a Comment